Fruit flies are invading my house and I can hardly get rid of them, but it gave me a reason to share how to kill fruit flies naturally with you!
I realized today that I forgot one of the ways in which I use my bottle of hydrogen peroxide sanitizing spray. It was definitely helpful in this fruit fly invasion! I’ve never seen so many fruit flies in one poor little kitchen.
Luckily my grandma just showed me a super-easy (like, you won’t even have to print this out or refer back to it, you’ll just remember) method for getting rid of fruit flies. Not that I don’t want you to come back. Maybe you should click around a little to find some other, more complicated posts that you’ll have to bookmark. “How to get rid of fruit flies” isn’t one of them, unfortunately for me!
How to Get Rid of Fruit Flies Naturally
- Put something sweet in a small bowl. This could be corn syrup, fruit peels, a piece of banana, or my grandma used red wine vinegar (but I’m not sure why).
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, very tightly.
- Poke a series of holes (10 or so) in the top. The fruit flies can get in, but they can’t figure out how to get out. Use a sharp kitchen knife.
- Simple, simple, simple way to kill fruit flies naturally without fuss or worry about toxins for your kids!
Skip the Plastic – an Even Better Way to Rid Your House of Fruit Flies Without Using Chemicals
UPDATE: This came in from a reader in the comments, and I’m a huge fan. It’s even easier than my grandma’s (but I won’t tell her she got one-upped). 😉
- Use a shallow saucer, or plastic cover like one from a yogurt tub or similar.
- Place enough apple cider vinegar in it to cover the bottom and create a little depth.
- Place ONE DROP of dish soap in the vinegar and set aside.
Voila, within an hour you will have tons of dead fruit flies floating around! They are lured by the vinegar and once they hit the surface, they are killed by the soap film!
Super helpful tip: Cover your fruit bowl with a tea towel so the flies don’t have any other places to go.
Of course, the most effective method to get rid of fruit flies once and for all is still manual extermination. This causes my kiddos to run around the house clapping and smacking things to mimic me, but it’s worth it. Gross, though. I have fruit flies all over my counter and hands. It was then that I was reminded of my stand-by bottles under my sink, and the fact that I forgot to mention the “squirt-the-counter-when-you-kill-an-insect” use.
It’s nice to have something that I can quickly grab, squirt, and be germ-free in seconds after killing fruit flies.
I totally bleached out a (new, of course!) shirt spraying my old bottle of bleach water on the counter after killing a spider, then leaning against it without thinking. Hydrogen peroxide could still kill a shirt, but cut 50/50 with water is a bit safer. Be sure to check out the three simple natural cleaners that I use for all kitchen cleaning!
Unfortunately, I have a lot of experience with little black sugar ants. This non-toxic ant poison is our go to when the ants invade!
Got Wasps or Bees?
We’ve naturally battled wasps and you can learn from my challenges with wasps and research on the best way to handle bees.
Other Tips you Might Enjoy:
- Kids’ Responsibility for Unpacking the Lunch
- Aluminum in Antiperspirants: Hazard or Hoax?
- My BEST Kitchen Time-Saver