Choosing a side dish is often something I struggle with, especially since I don’t like to rely on packaged mixes like mac-n-cheese or rice-a-roni. I used to use them, but my family’s nutrition has become more important than the convenience. This dish is super easy, tasty, totally frugal, and tastes great. There are lots of options to vary the flavors, too.
This recipe will be entered in this week’s October Fest Carnival of Super Foods, Broth/Stock Edition. I love to help people find recipes that use homemade bone broth beyond the typical soups. (I could also enter it in the carnival in two weeks, Un-Processed foods, for things you could buy at the store but make at home instead. I’ll share my Mexican version for that theme!) Last week’s carnival of beans had over 60 amazing entries. I guess this recipe could hook up with that, too! We are a bean-y family, after all, and I love sneaking beans into a side dish where you wouldn’t normally get them in a meal.
Bloggers, come on back on Thursday to link up YOUR broth/stock recipes!
- 1 c. brown rice
- 2 c. chicken broth (1 can plus a little water makes 2 cups)
- 1 chopped onion
- 1-2 stalks chopped celery
- can of black, kidney or other beans (or 1½ cups cooked dry beans)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute onion and celery in a little water, oil or butter 5 minutes until limp.
- Add chicken broth and rice, salt and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 45 minutes until rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed.
- Drain and rinse beans.
- Add and heat through.
In this photo, I used garbanzo beans (chickpeas) and subbed fresh yellow peppers for the celery. I think I liked it better than the original!
If you missed the last Monday Mission, click here.
Other side dish options:
This post is part of:
- Tempt My Tummy Tuesday at Blessed With Grace
- Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam
- Tightwad Tuesdays at Being Frugal
- Tuesdays at the Table at All the Small Stuff
- The $5 Dinner Challenge
- Slightly Indulgent Mondays at Simply Sugar and Gluten Free
- Whole Grain Recipe Swap at Life as MOM