How do you get your kids to eat their vegetables…for breakfast? Even child visitors to our home munch down these healthy grain-free or low-carb pancakes.
I usually refer to these babies as “pumpkin pancakes” simply because people are used to sweet pumpkin treats, but they give me skeptical looks if I offer “squash pancakes.” They are pretty much grain-free pancakes (or at least super low-grain, depending on how you prepare them), so they’re a great substitute for the carb-loaded breakfast options we’re used to.
|Grain Free “Orange Vegetable” Pancakes
- Separate eggs. In one bowl, whip egg whites a few minutes until frothy/foamy.
- In a separate bowl, combine yolks with squash, flour, sweetener, vanilla and spices. Fold in egg whites.
- Fry slowly in lots of fat in a cast iron skillet over medium-low heat OR on a griddle with a bit of butter at about 300-350F. Watch for the bottoms to begin browning when the edges look dry and flip once. If you find the pancakes are very thin and breaking apart, add a bit more flour or sourdough starter to the batter.
- The lazy way: Instead of separating the eggs, just mix everything together willy nilly in one bowl. The pancakes might not have as much height or fluff, but they’re still perfectly fine, especially for a weekday morning! I often use my stick blender to whiz it all together, especially if I have un-pureed squash or sweet potato.
*I recommend a sweeter squash like buttercup for these pancakes, and butternut works very well also. Cooked sweet potatoes or pumpkin puree, even from a can, is also delicious and still gets excellent super food veggie nutrition into your breakfast.
Get the whole premium package with bonus mini eBooks and Kindle/Nook files right HERE.
**Note on eggs: The recipe works with either 4 or 5 eggs, which you may choose depending on how large your eggs are or how many you have on hand. What kind of eggs should I use?
If you like this recipe, share it with friends!
Other Pancake Recipes:
- Soaked 100% Whole Grain Fluffy Pancakes
- Grain-free Almond Apple Pancakes
- Grain-free Banana Pancakes
- Potato-Vegetable Pancakes (Latkes)
- Sourdough Pancakes
Other Fall Recipes:
- Apple Flax Muffins (coming in the updated 2nd edition of Healthy Snacks to Go, FREE to purchasers of the 1st edition!)
- Healthy Pumpkin Bread (or muffins)
- Apple Bars
- Roasted Fall/Winter Vegetables
- Simple Cabbage Soup with Fall Vegetables
- Brussels Sprouts People will Love!
If you missed the last Monday Mission, click here.
Disclosure: Purchases made through Amazon links or at Honeyville do earn this site commission. See my full disclosure statement here.