- Then I Grew Up…
- My Easy and Healthy Breakfast Solution?
- Not Just A Fun and Easy Breakfast…Healthy Too!
- Simple Breakfast Full Of Nutrients
- Lazy Morning Breakfast Activity
A simple, nourishing smoothie topped with festive pomegranate seeds, chia seeds and grapes.
- 1 1/2 cups plain whole milk yogurt (regular or greek) or coconut milk yogurt
- 3 Tbsp. maple syrup or honey
- 1 capsule or teaspoon probiotics (whatever kind you use) (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. grass-fed collagen
- 1/2 small avocado
- pinch unrefined sea salt
- 1/2 cup green grapes, cut in small pieces
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- Combine the yogurt, syrup, probiotics, , and avocado in a blender. When ready to serve, blend on high until well mixed and thick.
- Pour the smoothie into serving bowls.
- Top with grapes, pomegranate seeds and chia seeds.
- Need a little help getting healthy food on the table every day? Real Plans takes the stress out of meal planning and puts the nourishing food BACK on your table. There’s a plan for every diet type, including GAPS, Paleo, AIP, Whole30, vegetarian and more! You remain totally in control: use your own recipes, accept theirs, and teach the system what your family likes…Check out how powerful it is here!
I have wonderful memories of Christmas from my childhood. We’d go to church for a candle light service on Christmas Eve. When it was time for presents my three siblings and I would sit in a line, and my dad would hand them out one at a time. There was so much joy and excitement.
Then we would head across the state to visit extended family. It was great to see grandparents and cousins that we didn’t get to see very often.
Of course after all of the celebrations were done it was time to play! We played with our new toys and spent hours outside building snow forts. That’s what Christmas break is all about, right?
Your kids CAN make their own healthy breakfast!
Join the Kids Cook Real Food Weekend Challenge: Kids Master Breakfast and imagine your kids making breakfast independently! This challenge contains pro-filmed video lessons you can do at your own pace and finish in one weekend. Perfect for busy families!!
Then I Grew Up…
Now I’m a parent…and I still love Christmas. But it doesn’t quite bring the same joy and excitement as it did when I was a child. I dwell on all of the stuff on my to-do list. The packing, traveling, buying, wrapping, cooking, baking, cleaning and hosting. It’s more crazy than calming. More stressful than joyful.
So by the time all of the chaos is over I’m just plain worn out. The last thing I want to do is get up and make a big breakfast for my family.
My Easy and Healthy Breakfast Solution?
This candy cane smoothie bowl!
It’s loaded with nutrients but requires very little effort…Isn’t that what we are all looking for?
A candy cane smoothie bowl is festive and fun. It is so easy to make I actually let my kids do most of the prep work! The older kids practice their detailed cutting skills they learned in the Kids Cook Real Food eCourse. The younger ones pick out pomegranate seeds.
All of the preparation can be done the day before (great afternoon project for bored kids!!). Even the smoothie ingredients can go right in the blender and be ready for morning.
In the morning I set it up buffet style. A quick whiz of the blender and the nutrient-dense smoothie is ready. Simply pour some in each bowl and let your kids have fun creating their own candy cane stripes.
- Tag any holiday recipes like this one with that holiday, and then next year when Christmas (or Halloween or Valentine’s Day or even “fall” comes around) you can find your favorites by sorting for that tag.
- Make “prep notes” that will automatically insert into your calendar the day BEFORE when you plan this recipe for breakfast. You’ll get a reminder to put the kids to work and have to do even less thinking yourself. 😉
If you’re not a Plan to Eat user yet, it’s an online menu planning system that lets you plan all your own meals but automates the shopping and prep parts, plus saves your recipes and previous plans for later. Try it free for 30 days!
Not Just A Fun and Easy Breakfast…Healthy Too!
I go with the red, white, green and brown stripes on a candy cane. As a home school mom I even turn it into a history lesson and talk about what some people say the stripes mean (there is always a way to work learning into your day!).
If you have a picky eater that wants nothing to do with chia seeds, let him just do grapes. Or swap raspberries or strawberries for the pomegranate seeds. Whatever your kids like, that you can find in the store will work. Regardless of the toppings, you can rest assured there is still a lot of nutrition in the smoothie from probiotics, grass-fed collagen and avocado!
Simple Breakfast Full Of Nutrients
One of my favorite things about this candy cane smoothie bowl is that it is a complete breakfast in one bowl. You get a good balance of fat, protein and carbohydrates. Plus tons of vitamins and minerals.
Pomegranate seeds are great for your heart and are said to help prevent cancer. Chia seeds have a healthy dose of calcium, magnesium, iron and fiber. Not to mention the probiotics and healingin the smoothie.
To top it off this smoothie bowl is free of grains, nuts and eggs. So it works well for many with allergies.
Lazy Morning Breakfast Activity
Turn breakfast into a fun, educational activity. It might even give mom a chance to sleep in a few minutes. An older child can turn on a blender and pour. While younger kids can add toppings.
Although this candy cane smoothie bowl is perfect for a lazy morning, it is festive enough to serve to your guests. I like to do a smoothie bowl buffet when I’m hosting my nieces and nephews. It’s fun for everyone!
If you’ve never tried a smoothie bowl you should. It’s a combination of a smoothie and a parfait. So you can add extra nutrients, but still have the crunchy, sweet toppings. That is my kind of food!