I had an absolute ball Monday night interviewing two ladies with incredible stories of health transformations via diet.
Amanda Torres from The Curious Coconut and Orleatha Smith from Level Health & Nutrition and Batch Cookery joined me on the KS Connect *Plus* Google Hangout and shared about their healing with the Paleo diet, which literally saved both of them from life-threatening obesity in their 20s and early 30s.
Now they’re passionate about grain-free living and have years of experience, as you’ll see in the video of the interview below:
If you can’t see the embedded video, click HERE to see it on YouTube.
Don’t Have an Hour to Watch?
I never, ever used to take the time to watch videos online, even 3-minute shorts. Now I do a little more, and here’s how, if it helps you:
I’ll get a video going in one tab and flip through emails or edit pictures or even read a blog post or manage my Facebook page while listening – if it gets really good, I’ll tune in more closely, but I can kind of keep up and determine when I need to pay attention and when I can drift a little.
Otherwise, you can use my notes to find sections in which you’re particularly interested in, like Orleatha and Amanda’s personal stories, how Paleo works with kids, the surprising enemy both may blame for their obesity problem, what ailments they were healed of, and baby steps to healing YOUR gut.
Cheat Sheet – You’ve GOT to see the culprit at 5 minutes and hear the hilarious story about McDonald’s at 42 minutes!
- 4:00 (at 4 minutes in on the ticker) We explain the title, the 3 trillion bacteria in our guts
- 5:00 The role of a certain prescription in damaging the gut and how important gut health is (from Orleatha, an holistic health coach), including link to obesity
- 7:10 Orleatha shares about chronic eczema and spending a month in Mayo Clinic
- 8:00 Amanda’s obesity story begins, including the mind-blowing number of prescriptions she was on in her early 20s
- 12:30 Does gluten still affect Amanda?
- 14:00 Orleatha’s story starts
- 16:00 How Orleatha’s kids have a healthy relationship with food
- 18:45 What is Paleo and how did they get started (the definition is more like 21:00)
- 23:00 On healing food allergies by healing the gut
- 26:00 What is a baby step someone can take if they aren’t into going Paleo or GAPS full out, but they want to improve their gut health a little bit.
- 28:00 Orleatha’s old favorite Weight Watchers meals (ewwww!)
- 30:00 Amanda’s baby step that she recommends to friends
- 33:00 We talk about how expensive gluten-free diets can be and get passionate about alternative flours
- 34:30 On the importance of varying your diet with Paleo
- 35:30 Katie plays Devil’s advocate about how she feels going gluten-free
- 37:10 Biggest challenges with the Paleo diet
- 42:00 What happens when Grandma takes the kids to McDonald’s
- 43:15 Is this sustainable, a diet you’ll use forever?
- 45:00 have you added foods back in?
- 46:00 Amanda wonders if she’ll add in traditionally soaked grains
- 48:00 Katie thinks it would be hard to give up cheese if she went Paleo and assures the girls it’s not hard to soak and sourdough
- 49:00 How do you notice what symptoms are related to what foods? Why an elimination diet might help. (at 51:00 Orleatha shares a great analogy for how elimination diets work)
- 52:00 Listener question on how healing the gut impacts food allergies, can food allergies be healed?
- 58:00 Orleatha shares about her upcoming venture, a “Mom Summit” to support the mind, body and souls of mothers (and I’ve been asked to be a speaker, so watch for it here around Mother’s Day!) and a cool new YouTube series.
If you learned something from the video, share it or ask more questions in the comments below – I truly enjoyed my time with these gals, and I know many will benefit from their experiences!!
The next KS Connect *Plus* hangout is for bloggers about monetization on March 10, and then two “real food” hangouts in a row:
March 24: “The Unprocessed Day”
March 31: The Super Cookbook Author Hangout
- Tess Masters, The Blender Girl
- Ricki Heller, formerly of Diet, Dessert & Dogs, now rickiheller.com
- Jenny McGruther of Nourished Kitchen
Follow this Week’s Speakers
Tumblr: http://www.tumblr.com/blog/thecuriouscoconut Instagram: www.instagram.com/thecuriouscoconut
Websites: http://lvlhealth.com/ and http://batchcookery.com/
FB: www.facebook.com/mrspaleo and www.facebook.com/lvlhealth
Photos are from the speakers’ blogs.