The KS readers are just fantastic! This post is packed with reader recommendations for DIY and homemade insect and mosquito repellents – they are by and large natural, safe, and at least one person out there says they work!
Why didn’t I test them all, you ask? Not enough bugs, for two summers in a row, for real. (I still managed to pull off the natural insect repellent review by the skin of my teeth, though! Check it out for good options to purchase.)
From what I understand, though, each person’s body chemistry is going to have a serious effect on how well a given bug repellent formula will work for preventing mosquito, tick or other bug bites anyway, so maybe you just have to try them yourself.
Natural Home Made Insect Repellent Recipes
- Rely on essential oils and mix with half apple cider vinegar and half witch hazel for application
- Which essential oils?
- tea tree
- citrus scents, especially lemon
- UPDATE: oregano is good to prevent tick bites, according to the comments
- Some of these are reader recommendations; the rest are from the formulas I’ll be testing for the natural insect repellent review, so they may not officially be “essential” oils but are listed as “oil” nonetheless. More on those in another post!
- If you mix essential oils with another oil carrier they last longer and spread further, usually fractionated coconut oil, but any liquid oil, even extra virgin olive oil, should work. The only downfall to that is that you’ll have to rub on instead of being able to spray it on. One reader also says coconut oil will attract the buggies, so be careful! That said, two of the very effective purchased insect repellents contains coconut oil, so maybe you just want to stay away from unrefined coconut oil with the scent? Just guessing…
- Homemade soap nuts liquid – reader says it works on BIG mosquitoes! I’d love to try it, as I have found that Shaklee’s Basic H, dabbed on full strength, actually works amazingly well, so maybe there’s something to natural surfactants and insect repellents.
- UPDATE: from the comments section, a reader uses Vitamin E capsules and rubs the oil on – keeps buggers away for 2-3 days!
- 2 cups witch hazel extract
1 1/2 teaspoons citronella essential oil, or lemon grass essential oil
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Combine all in 16 ounce spray bottle. Shake. No need to refrigerate. Apply liberally, avoiding mouth, eyes and nose. (we close our eyes, hold our breath and spray some in our hands to rub on our face quick, no harm)
- The author reminds that it won’t work for everyone, but it’s a good base for switching up essential oils – if citronella or lemongrass don’t work, try lavender or tea tree. Neem is really popular in the purchased versions, too.
- Fill bottle about 85% with witch hazel (and have some extra to top off at the end if needed)Add 10 drops each of the following essential oils: cedarwood, tea tree, rosemary, lemon-eucalyptus, citronella, lemongrassAdd 20 drops each of lavender and peppermint essential oilsAdd a few drops of Vitamin E oil (this helps the spray to last longer – both on your skin and in the bottle)Shake well before using!
- 1/2 tsp lavender oil & 2 cups of water= Multipurpose spray BUT fantastic homemade mosquito repellent!
- Some other homemade natural bug spray remedies
These homemade insect sprays don’t sound all that hard to mix up, but you have to be willing to invest in essential oils if you’re not already using them regularly. Try
Mountain Rose Herbs (Link Removed) as one source for quality EOs.
If I had a chance to test this, I’d start with soap nuts liquid because it’s cheap and I have it on hand, then try some of the basic EOs like lavender and tea tree, again, because I have them on hand. I’ll let you know if I ever get a chance to watch mosquitoes land on me and see if I can fend them off with a homemade bug spray option!!
My friends at Ultimate Bundles have put together an amazing package worth over $769 for only $47!
With 10 ECourses, 15 Ebooks and a printable this is the ultimate resource to give you the skills, know-how and confidence to protect your health with natural remedies!