Your mission, if you choose to accept, is to examine, and hopefully improve, the milk your family drinks.
From store brand skim to fresh milk from a local farm and everything in between, the vast array of milk choices is dizzying.
There are those who will tell you adult human beings should not be drinking milk at all.
There are those who will tell you no one should drink milk from a store.
And you can always find someone (or some government entity) to tell you that drinking fresh, unpasteurized milk is like playing Russian roulette.
Then there are the stories of folks surviving for decades consuming no food other than raw cow’s milk, of people who can’t tolerate dairy but can enjoy unpasteurized, grassfed milk without worry.
Plenty of sources will explain that there is no difference between milk treated with rBGH or rBST hormones and milk without, and that grassfed vs. grainfed dairy makes zero difference in nutrition.
And just as many sources laud the praises of unpasteurized, unhomogenized, organic, grassfed milk!
What’s an eater to do?
Later this week I’ll share some research I’ve done on the subject, but for today, here are some resources to begin your exploration. If you’ve already researched milk, I’d love it if you’d share your own resources in the comments section (7th comment of any kind gets five extra entries in the dehydrator giveaway!).
Check out this post (link no longer available) for the rest of the Go Local! Challenge.
This is not an exhaustive nor even comprehensive list, just a sampling of articles from my personal bookmarks that have caught my eye. You’ll find many perspectives, but not perhaps alllllll possible points of view in the world. Happy reading!
- Forbes.com deems grassfed some of the “healthiest foods on Earth”
- Price-Pottenger Foundation Q&A on “Milk”
- The FDA’s version of Q&A about raw milk
- Mark McAfee on milk helping to heal
- Boston News: anecdotes on raw milk healing
- Journal of Dairy Science research: Does putting cows on grass decrease e. Coli?
- MSNBC: Is organic milk worth it?
- Health Benefits of Real Milk
- Some balance: pasteurized or raw milk?
- Is Milk Affecting Your Fertility?
- Harpers Magazine: Raw milk vs. pasteurized milk, the battle, does it help allergies, and more
- Weston A. Price Foundation: Processed Milk (go a few pages down the article)
- Medline Plus: Is grassfed milk healthier? (link no longer available) (from May 2010)
- Will we have a right to choose at all? New federal regulations
I’m sure that’s more than enough for your Monday morning! I’ll be back all week with dehydrator how-tos (you’ve seen the giveaway, right?) and more on milk, the good, the bad, and the confusing. You also might want to check out the Nourishing Food on a Budget eCourse sneak preview of seafood week!
Photo from Flickr.com.
Need Some Baby Steps?
Here at Kitchen Stewardship, we’ve always been all about the baby steps. But if you’re just starting your real food and natural living journey, sifting through all that we’ve shared here over the years can be totally overwhelming.
That’s why we took the best 10 rookie “Monday Missions” that used to post once a week and made a printable checklist so you can track your progress.
Sign up to get the checklist and weekly challenges and teaching on key topics like meal planning, homemade foods that save the budget (and don’t take too much time), what to cut out of your pantry, and more.