The following is a guest post from Emilie from The Toups Address.
Down for the Count
That’s where I live during the entire 1st trimester of my pregnancies, and this one was no exception.
Nausea, vomiting, dizziness and total general fog! It’s no fun and any momma that has experienced these horrible symptoms knows exactly what I’m talking about.
I mean how am I going to take care of these two toddlers daily with 24/7 stomach virus symptoms with no end in sight?
Could it be a Magnesium Deficiency?
I know this is far from anything you have heard at your OB’s office but low and behold, it’s time to try out magnesium for your morning sickness.
Nearly ALL Americans are magnesium deficient. Why?
“Our human ancestors evolved in a world in which healthy drinking water came directly from streams, rivers, and lakes, rich in mineral content. The human body became reliant on obtaining a considerable proportion of its daily mineral needs from natural water sources…. the average American ingests substantially less magnesium than the RDA.” (source)
RELATED: The Best Form of Magnesium.
Back to Morning Sickness…
Since magnesium balances our cortisol levels, which stops us from huge sugar highs and lows (which causes the nausea and vomiting) we need it crucially during pregnancy. But wait…..our pregnancy hormones actually inhibit our absorption of magnesium which is why we need to supplement.
This pregnancy I had the WORST morning sickness of all time. I think I even spent an entire day in bed. Literally, I’m not kidding. As soon as I read about magnesium I set out to make some!
Note from Katie: Of course Emilie knows others have had worse morning sickness…but this was the worst she’s experienced, and it’s awesome that this supplementation worked for her. I wish it would work for everyone, but I know there’s not a “one size fits all” answer to anything that has to do with the human body. It doesn’t hurt to try if you’re down and out, though.
I bought Ancient Minerals bath flakes, dissolved some in warm water and created a spray that I used as often as 3x a day.
Let’s just say the first day I used it, it kind of stung! This is a totally normal reaction when magnesium deficient. So I made my solution a little weaker and voila….no more stinging.
It took three days to finally notice a difference, but on the third day I woke up and totally felt a little better, even ate a decent breakfast. I continued using the oil every day and still am using it now at 20 weeks. I’m feeling great.
Use the coupon code KS10 for 10% off your entire order at ! They have various forms of magnesium as well as grassfed liver capsules, both really optimal for pregnancy! The Garden of Life prenatal is whole foods, not un-bioavailable mashed together minerals like most OTC prenatals. (I didn’t supplement quite enough in my last pregnancy, and I got cavities to show for it. -Katie)
Natural Baby Care Course
I’m so happy to introduce you to Genevieve from Mama Natural. I loved her video series for years before I met her and I’m proud now that our families have become dear friends. She’s such a sweet, genuine woman!
Imagine having access to a team of expert health professionals in your home, whenever you need them, as you raise your newborn.
- A holistic pediatrician to give you tips on what to feed your baby.
- A board certified lactation consultant to help you master breastfeeding.
- And a firefighter / CPR instructor to make you aware and prepared.
This is a masterclass in everyday baby care. You’ll be supported for ALL the challenges that come up with baby in this program.
- It’s easy to access. Watch the classes on your own schedule. No traveling across town after a long day at work.
- It’s comfortable. Learn in the privacy of your own home—no sterile classrooms filled with rows of uncomfortable chairs. Simply curl up in your favorite spot and soak it all in.
- It’s fast, but comprehensive. Other baby care courses speed through the most important topics to cover it all. We don’t do that. Instead, we unpack all of the issues that come up postpartum, but we do so in small chunks so you can squeeze the education into your busy life.
- It’s affordable. Our course is priced lower than in-person classes and less than most online alternatives as well.
More of a book person? You must check out Genevieve’s week-by-week Guide to Pregnancy & Childbirth. It’s the natural answer to “What to Expect” and soooo comprehensive and beautiful!!
Shouting From the Rooftops
I’m telling everyone I know, because this worked amazingly well for me. It’s super easy to make and can change your life…..no, seriously.
Morning Sickness Magnesium Spray
- 1 cup of warm water
- 2 Tbs of Ancient Minerals magnesium flakes
- Dissolve the magnesium flakes in the warm water and transfer to a glass spray bottle.
- Use 2-3x a day on body.
- Best to start on the legs and work your way to the abdomen after some magnesium stores are built up.
- Especially if it stings a bit, try applying 20 minutes before showering or wipe it off after 20 minutes with a washcloth.
Where to Buy Magnesium
You can compare prices at:
For the most gentle application (no itch like the spray and no time needed like a bath), try magnesium lotion. Added benefit: This may also help your body calm down for sleep at night, so keep it on your bedside table and make it a habit.
Another note from Katie: EDIT 11/20/14 – a comment came in that shares a few sources about magnesium and pregnancy in particular. I don’t have time to track them down with my own research (a new baby is the reason this guest post is here, after all!), but this is from a long-time reader who I feel I can trust. She says this kind of magnesium, the magnesium chloride that is in the salts, can be dangerous in pregnancy. Her midwife told her to only get magnesium from her prenatal supplement. Sooo….check out the comment and sources HERE and see what you think! Emilie and I are certainly not doctors, nurses, midwives or anyone with any credentials…always take care to do your OWN research before treating yourself, especially in pregnancy.