Recipe Connection: A Healthy (and Tasty!) Version of Fruit Pizza

Every recipe I’ve ever seen for fruit pizza uses sugar cookie dough as the base. Usually they call for pre-packaged, trans-fat and white-sugar laden monstrosities.  That bums me out.

Since I’m trying hard to focus on real, whole, healthy foods, fruit is a great option…but storebought cookie dough is not.  Even a homemade sugar cookie dough recipe would have a bunch of white flour and white sugar that I don’t want for my family.  I decided there had to be a way to make a healthy fruit pizza that still tastes good. Here is the mouthwatering result:

healthy fruit pizza recipe

Get this recipe, updated and improved with tons of FAQs, in the eBook “Smart Sweets,” along with 29 other delicious desserts that won’t make you feel guilty! Click HERE for a table of contents.

I thought and thought about what else could be used for a “crust” instead of a sugar cookie.  Vegetable pizzas rely on crescent rolls or bread dough, but I needed something decidedly dessert. I decided to try going part whole wheat on a shortbread recipe, and I’ve since gone all the way.

If you believe the Nourishing Traditions theory that real butter is not only better than margarine (please at least buy into that part!  Margarine is fake food!) but is actually good for you, especially if it’s grass-fed, this dessert hinges on being a health food. It even has probiotics.  It’s very low in sugar, less than most muffins you’d eat for breakfast, and although I have allowed white sugar to remain in the recipe, I bet it would be possible to substitute something even healthier.

Katie’s Healthy Fruit Pizza

Crust:

• 1 cup (2 sticks) softened butter (if you forget to set it out, roll it with a rolling pin to soften)
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 cups white whole wheat flour (King Arthur sells this in regular grocery stores; it’s made from hard white spring wheat.  Traditional whole wheat flour is hard red wheat; if that’s all you have, I wouldn’t go with more than half whole wheat, half white flour.  I tried this, and it tastes “healthy” and is quite crumbly.  You also may want to increase the butter to a full cup with traditional whole wheat flour.)

Cream butter and sugar.  Stir in flour and finish by hand.  It might be very crumbly and you’ll think it will never come together, but persevere.  You can also go shy on the flour.

healthy fruit pizza recipeAdd  a little more butter if necessary, but it really can look like the photo above and still come together like this when you use your hands:

100% whole wheat fruit pizza dough recipeOnce the dough comes together when you squeeze it, begin to press a handful at a time into a buttered pan.  Mine happens to be a heart, but a small cookie sheet or even a 9×13 glass dish should work too!  (UPDATE:  My new favorite pan for this is my Pampered Chef baking stone.  I roll it out gently with a rolling pin.  It helps that I added another 1/4 cup of butter to the recipe.)

img_7072Aim for a thickness of about 1/4″.  Bake in a 350-degree oven for 15-20 minutes.  As soon as you see brown on the edges, it’s done!

img_7074Watch the edges; they can brown quickly!  Now for the fun part.  While the cookie crust cools, make the “frosting”.

Frosting:

• about 3/4 cups yogurt cheese or cream cheese, softened
  • less than 1/4 cup powdered sugar, like so:

img_7075I just sprinkle some sugar on and taste to make sure the frosting isn’t too tart.

Turn on your beaters, watch your one-year-old daughter do a happy dance because she loves big noises (or maybe that’s just in my house?), and watch the frosting consistency appear before your eyes:

img_7076img_7077Spread on top of your cooled “crust”:

img_7078and finish with a variety of fresh fruit, including:

• kiwi
  • bananas
  • strawberries
  • peaches
  • berries of any kind
  • and more…whatever is in season and/or on sale
  • for example, at Christmastime, it’s beautiful with kiwi, dried cranberries OR pomegranate seeds, pineapple, and/or banana

img_6937
Voila!  A dessert you can be proud to serve for any party or picnic, not only because of its gorgeous presentation, but also because it’s packed with good food (and just a smidge of sugar).   Not that you have to share your creation…you might just eat it all yourselves like our family did! This is serious melt-in-your-mouth stuff. (Or you could set it on top of your van and forget it’s there like I did with my second one, feeding the road instead of the visiting family members…so, so sad.)

Print This Recipe

A Healthy (and Tasty!) Version of Fruit Pizza

Author:
Recipe type: Desserts
Ingredients
  • Crust:
  • 1 c. (2 sticks) softened butter (if you forget to set it out, roll it with a rolling pin to soften)
  • ¼ c. sugar
  • 2 c. white whole wheat flour (King Arthur sells this in regular grocery stores; it’s made from hard white spring wheat. Traditional whole wheat flour is hard red wheat; if that’s all you have, I wouldn’t go with more than half whole wheat, half white flour. I tried this, and it tastes “healthy” and is quite crumbly. You also may want to increase the butter to a full cup with traditional whole wheat flour.)
  • Frosting:
  • about ¾ c. yogurt cheese or cream cheese, softened
  • less than ¼ c. powdered sugar, to taste
Instructions
  1. Curst:
  2. Cream butter and sugar.
  3. Stir in flour and finish by hand.  It might be very crumbly and you’ll think it will never come together, but persevere.  You can also go shy on the flour.
  4. Add  a little more butter if necessary, but it really can look like the photo in the post and still come together.
  5. Once the dough comes together when you squeeze it, begin to press a handful at a time into a buttered pan.  Mine happens to be a heart, but a small cookie sheet or even a 9×13 glass dish should work too!  (UPDATE:  My new favorite pan for this is my Pampered Chef baking stone.  I roll it out gently with a rolling pin.  It helps that I added another ¼ cup of butter to the recipe.)
  6. Aim for a thickness of about ¼″.
  7. Bake in a 350-degree oven for 15-20 minutes.  As soon as you see brown on the edges, it’s done!
  8. Watch the edges; they can brown quickly!
  9. While the cookie crust cools, make the “frosting”.
  10. Frosting:
  11. Using a mixer, add powdered sugar, tasting until you have the desired sweetness.
  12. Finish:
  13. Spread the frosting on the cooled crust
  14. Top with your choice of fruits.

Many people are using this healthy fruit pizza recipe as a snack. If that’s you, you might be interested in my Healthy Snacks to Go eBook, over 30 kid-friendly recipes to get you on your way with real food, fast.

Check out my other great summer recipes:

Come on back again!  Sign up for an email subscription or grab my reader feed.

Kitchen Stewardship is dedicated to balancing God’s gifts of time, health, earth and money.  If you feel called to such a mission, read more at Mission, Method, and Mary and Martha Moments.

Disclaimer: There are affiliate links in this post from which I will earn a small commission.

• Carmen says

This recipe is incredible! Just added 1/4 tsp vanilla to the dough and used 1/3 cup confectioner’s sugar for the frosting. Topped with fresh strawberries, blueberries and peaches.

That looks delicious. I am trying so hard to incorporate more whole foods in our diet. I bought a grain mill but I haven’t ventured out more than making our own bread. I love your site, I’m going to have to spend some more time here :)

Thanks for the compliment! So glad to have you visit; I hope you like what you see. I don’t have a grain mill yet…maybe someday… :)

hi! i found you thru tasty tues and i love your healthy substitution. what a great idea! and i can see that i need to look around your blog some more. we are trying to eat less sugar and white stuff.

I love those fruit pizzas, but have never made it for the same reason you mention. It seems so unhealthy. It never occurred to me to adapt the crust and improve the healthiness! Thanks for encouraging us to enjoy this altered recipe and share it with friends!

Thanks; this looks yummy!

BTW, I always use whole wheat flour when making sugar cookies (for cookie plates at Christmas time). I’ve not found a good substitute for granulated sugar, though, in any cookie recipe – other sweeteners all give the cookies a decidedly different texture.

5. Erika says

Wow, thanks for the recipe! I’ve been looking for something like this to make for my mother, I brought some home from cooking class and lost the recipe. She fell in love with it though, haha.
    Thanks a lot. :)

6. Martha says

Thank you so much for this recipe. I love fruit pizza, but haven’t made it in ages because of all the garbage. Thanks for cleaning it up. :)

This is such a great recipe. I’m normally not a fan of “unique” pizzas, but this looks too good to pass up. Thanks for sharing it on FaveDiets.

8. Michele says

I use lowerfat cream cheese with powdered sugar and the I add a couple of strawberries and blend it in my food processor for the spread. It comes out great. Lemon or other berries also work in place of the strawberries for flavor and color..

I made one of these this week when my cousin called to say she was dropping by with her two little ones for a visit later that day. We thought it was awesome! (And I’m wishing for more yogurt cheese right now…)

You show a picture of the crust being pricked wiht a fork – is that before or after baking? :>)

I used my baking stone, but then realized that I needed to get the crust off so it could cool faster. It kind of fell apart as I was transferring it, so I was wishing I’d have used parchment paper underneath – I just buttered it well, which worked – it didn’t stick! I was a bit concerned that I’d underbaked it (I used half fresh ground, half white flour, so hard to tell how done it is) but the leftovers in the refrigerator held up very well.

Thanks, Katie – it was delicious!
    .-= Lenetta @ Nettacow´s last blog ..Daybook for May 19, 2010 =-.

Lenetta,
      Glad you liked it! I did prick the crust before baking here, but I don’t really bother with that anymore and it still turns out great! :) Katie

10. Robin says

I made this last night for our work party…I’m sorry but the crust was terrible. Everyone took one bite and threw it out. It looked beautiful but had a bad aftertasted to it. I used the KA white whole wheat flour and even added a little more sugar because it wasn’t sweet enough.
    Darn it! I’ll have to go back to the cookie dough and just have one little bite in the future. Sorry Katie!

Robin,
      Huh. I’m bummed, but thanks for your honesty. There’s only a few ingredients, so I guess if you used the right flour (it wasn’t old, was it?) and your butter had nothing wrong with it, then you’re right in not using the recipe again! Sorry ’bout that – we still like it around here though. ??
      Katie

11. Robin says

Oh Katie – I never even thought about the age of the flour!! That is definitely possible. Would it take on a weird flavor if old? Come to think of it, I’m pretty sure I bought it a couple of years ago. Maybe I’ll try it again but a small version of it with half and half flour if I buy some new.
    It was SOOO pretty too! The topping was great, but I did add a little more powdered sugar…it was worth the extra points for me. :)

Thanks for your response…I might become a convert after all!

Robin,
      The way you described the reaction to the crust, it did almost sound like rancid flour. ?? Whole grain flour should be kept in the freezer or fridge, because the wheat germ has oil in it that can and does go rancid quickly. A few years is probably pushing it! When you buy new, I would recommend smelling both of them side by side, and you’ll get a pretty good idea of what’s going on with your old stuff. If by half and half you meant half the old flour, you might reconsider if it is rancid! Could do half and half with white flour though. That has a long shelf life, because most of the good nutrients that would degrade are stripped away. 😉 Katie

Wait a sec! I didn’t know that it had to be kept in the fridge. My whole wheat flour.. whole wheat pastry flour too? My fridge is stuffed with 5lbs of wheat germ now that I ordered from Azure. I gotta get me another fridge I think.. then again the garage is as cold as a freezer these days with the low temps ;o)

Sarah,
          Anything whole wheat has wheat germ in it, so the oils make it unstable. I have a bunch of flour on a shelf in my garage! 😉 Katie

12. Sarah says

I made this exactly as you said and the dough turned out perfect. I also used xylitol for the sugar- it is equal parts so it is easy and cooks fine and taste just like sugar and it is actually good for you.
    I also used my vita mix dry pitcher to grind up xylitol for the powdered sugar part. A healthy treat!

13. SarahSpi says

I made this just last night for my 5-year-olds class snack today. It is fabulous! I did use half white sugar, and half sucanat in the crust and went a little heavier on it, but not by much. My daughter LOVED her “sneak peek” when she taste-tested it, and I’m currently eating some for breakfast! Thank you SO MUCH for this wholesome recipe! I was beginning to get discouraged looking at all of them with sugar cookie dough… I want something more wholesome for my family and the children at school, that still tastes sinful. This does it!

Sarah,
      So glad it was a success for you! I forget about it when I’m thinking about snacks for kids – forehead smacker! Thanks for reminding me; it’s the perfect time of year to start making it again with the fruit coming into season. :) Katie

• SarahSpi says

It was apparently more than a success! Here it is, 2 days later, and I’m making another double-batch pizza as requested by my daughter’s teacher! The children in her class were all begging for seconds yesterday. Who am I to say no?!

Meg,
      You’d have to figure it out yourself with amounts, I guess. I don’t really worry about calorie counts and such! :) Katie

14. Chris says

You know you have some great recipes on here but you should really correct your margarine is plastic comment, it’s utter nonsense. I’m assuming you’re using the “it’s only one molecule away from plastic” as your basis for this. Even if that were true it means absolutely nothing. Would you drink 100% hydrogen peroxide (H2O2)…. its only 1 molecule away from water so it must be safe… A single molecule makes a BIG difference.

Chris,
      Thanks for the note. I’m cool with removing the “plastic” part – I did update the post, in fact. But margarine is still fake food, and I won’t eat it! 😉 Katie

Thank you for this lovely, healthy recipe! When I asked my husband for ideas on dinner tonight he said how about a tray of fruit. :) I said, how about a fruit pizza? Then I looked around and decided I needed a recipe for a *healthy* fruit pizza. Wa-la, your recipe came up in the search! Thanks again, I’ll be back. :)

16. Terri says

Love this idea but have gotten ridden of white sugar as well as white flour, unless absolutely needed. For the frosting, I’ve used honey or real maple syrup as the sweetener and both are great. I also mostly bake with organic sugar crystals that aren’t bleached that work pretty well so will have to try them here. Another idea might be a combination of oat flour and the white wheat flour to give the crust some depth. It would be great to hear if your substitutions have worked or not! Thanks for sharing!

17. Molly says

This is delicious! I’m a regular reader here but found this recipe via Google when I searched for a “healthier fruit pizza.” I was pleased to find a site I knew that doesn’t define healthier as low-fat and preservative filled dairy products. It was easy to throw together and tastes great! I had planned to take it to a pot-luck, but I doubt this will make it out of the house. Thanks for all the great tips and recipes!

Hooray for this recipe!! Fruit pizza was one of my favorite childhood desserts and I wanted it make it (sans Jiffy cake-mix) for my husband’s birthday tonight. I’m so excited to try this; thanks for posting!

19. marsha says

Been a Stewardship reader since I graciously
    fell into it a few years ago (your little guy had
    just been born :)
    Simply love you Katie and crew, for all you do
    and how you ‘be’ and share and expand in the world!
    I actually get in conversations when I overhear
    women with children talking about better food
    choices, AND ALWAYS plug them in to Kitchen
    Stewardship, which they express happiness to
    discover. A round of Blessings, ‘clink’ !

20. Trisha says

This sounds great. I’ve been wanting to try a fruit pizza, but can’t get past the cookie crust issue. Thank you for a wonderful sounding alternative.