I do a lot of complicated things in the kitchen sometimes. This, luckily for you, is NOT one of them. I’d been making homemade Chicken Rice-a-Roni for a while but still needed a substitute for boxed Mexican rice as a side with tacos. This is what I came up with…
This dish is my entry in this Thursday’s October Fest Carnival of Super Foods, Un-Processed Foods Edition.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1¾ cup water
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 can kidney or black beans (or dry equivalent)
- 2 Tbs. taco seasoning
- Optional add-ins:
- 1 cup frozen corn
- chopped onion
- chopped green peppers
- colored peppers
- chili peppers
- *For me, adding chopped onions and peppers keeps it as easy as a box mix because they’re always already prepped in my freezer. I just froze a bunch of farmer’s market peppers for the winter!
- Here’s the trick to make it really taste like the boxed mix: Saute the rice first either in a dry pan or in a tad bit of butter (or both, one after the other). Keep stirring CONstantly, just like it says on the Rice-a-Roni boxes! You're shooting for browned, not blackened, of course, so keep a close eye.
- THEN add the water, tomato sauce and taco seasoning.
- This works whether you’re soaking (see below) or not, and totally changes the mouth-feel and taste of the finished dish, definitely for the better.
- Bring to a boil and turn heat to low, covered, for 45 minutes (no peeking!).
- Add the beans and optional add-ins and simmer 5 more minutes until heated through.
White rice works great, you just use the cook time for the rice (usually 15 mins. for short grain and 20 mins. for basmati).
This recipe makes at least twice as much as your basic boxed mix, so be ready for leftovers.
Every real food cook needs some basic resources that everyone recognizes.
If you have a desire to cook real food more fluently or gain confidence in remaking some of your own processed style recipes using only whole foods, you’ll love the bestselling eBook Better Than a Box.
With 60 ready-to-go recipes and 100 pages of kitchen tutorials, your family will be singing your real food praises in no time. Click HERE for more info on the premium package, including the Kindle version.
What in the World is Soaking Grains?
Find more healthy food and healthy you inspiration: