Does it ever drive you nuts that candy companies will slap a “Fat Free!” starburst on their packages, tempting sorry dieters to indulge in a snack that is anything but “guilt free?” I can’t help the sarcastic smirk on my face when I see the words “Fat Free!” emblazoned across sugar-filled indulgences.
What’s the deal with fats? People are so afraid of consuming fat, likely because they assume they will then become fat. You are what you eat, right? Not necessarily, my friends. The first Food for Thought of the Fat Full Fall at Kitchen Stewardship will cover how fat is metabolized by the body and the role it plays in our bodies.
Some other topics you can look forward to:
- Are Saturated Fats Healthy or Evil?
- My Family’s Journey to Full Fat Dairy
- Polyunsaturated Fats – Are they Healthy?
- Canola Oil: Friend or Foe?
- Fats you Don’t Always Hear About: Coconut Oil, Ghee
- Animal Fats: Tallow, Lard
- Reading the side of your Oil Bottles (Cold-Pressed vs. Expeller-Pressed)
- Baseline Fats: What Fat do you Use for What Purpose?
For today, let’s start by looking backward. A few of our Monday Missions have touched on fats. It’s time to review:
Trans Fats: If there’s one thing you want to learn to avoid in the quest for healthy eating, I’m convinced that this is the winner. Search Out Trans Fats is a must-read post to make sure you understand the label-reading fiasco surrounding the issue, plus why to avoid them in the first place.
Omega 3s: Americans need more of them, plain and simple. Read up on health benefits plus the scoop on salmon and flax, two big ways to increase your omega 3s.
- How to Buy Safe Salmon: Give it a skim if you’re going to increase your omega-3s with salmon.
- How to Use and Store Flax Safely: Again, skim it if you use it (or want to learn how).
Monounsaturated Fats (healthy fats): Review the health benefits of monounsaturated fats and some fav foods in this category.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil: A Super Food Healthy Fat
If you missed the last Monday Mission, click here.
Visit Food Renegade for more Fight Back Fridays.
Join our Facebook community so you never miss an update!