If husband says, “This might be better than the real thing,” I’m jumping for joy knowing I have a winner.
He said that about this recipe.
I first tried making my own homemade dressings this spring when I gave up white sugar for Lent. (You can see four homemade salad dressings with extra virgin olive oil here and a whole bunch of dressings here..) I’ve fiddled with those recipes and tried to mimic other favorite bottled versions, but this is the first I made totally on my own. It’s a reverse engineered Kraft Asian Toasted Sesame Dressing, souped up to be so much more healthy because it uses healthy oil, real seeds and real garlic.
|Asian Toasted Sesame Dressing|
- 2 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 2-3 Tbs soy sauce
- 1 Tbs sesame oil (optional) plus extra virgin olive oil to make 1/2 cup
- 2 tsp sesame seeds, toasted*
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- Whisk apple cider vinegar, olive oil, optional sesame oil and soy sauce.
- Whiz the garlic and toasted sesame seeds in a mini-food processor until garlic is in small pieces.
- Combine and enjoy!
- *To toast sesame seeds, put them on a dry cookie sheet in the toaster oven and toast on light once or twice until lightly browned and aromatic. No toaster oven? You could certainly use a regular oven on low heat – just watch the closely every few minutes to make sure they don’t burn. I’m thinking you could also put them in a hot, dry pan and stir constantly until browned, but I haven’t tried that myself.
Store in the fridge (I think?) and try to remember to take it out a half hour before dinner, because the olive oil will solidify when cold.
Don’t you think this would be marvelous for a main dish salad with a marinated chicken breast and those crunchy Asian chow mein noodles? You could add lots of vegetables to really make your salad count!
Be sure to come on back Thursday for the first installment of the October Fest Carnival of Super Foods, Bean Recipes Edition.(Bloggers, link up!)
If you missed the last Monday Mission, click here.
I’m always pleased to participate in:
- Pennywise Platter Thursday at The Nourishing Gourmet
- Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap
- Ann Kroeker’s Food on Fridays
- Friday Feasts at MomTrends
- Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum
- Mouthwatering Mondays at A Southern Fairytale
- Slightly Indulgent Mondays at Simply Sugar and Gluten Free
- Taste the World: China at Hospitality Haven