Ah, summer! Days full of being out in the sun, not a care in the world…
Whether you’re at a baseball game, out for a bike ride or relaxing on the beach, you still need to eat at least three meals a day, right? But you don’t feel like heating up the kitchen — or maybe even spending time in there at all if you can help it.
If you’re headed to the campground for a long weekend and are wondering what to take, or the family is gathering for the 4th of July, a family reunion or “just because” — What can you make that’s real food but a crowd favorite?
While plates of fresh fruit and vegetables are always welcome, here are some ideas to take it up a notch.
Related: Energy Efficient Summer Cooking
Appetizers, Dips and Condiments
- Easy Deviled Eggs
- Easy Summer Fruit Dips
- Fresh Guacamole
- Italian Dressing
- Lacto-Fermented and Canned Dill Pickles
- Spicy Cheesy Chicken Dip
- Classic Easy Potato Salad – always a crowd pleaser!
- Beet Salad Ideas
- Sprouted Lentil Salad – unique and different with a yummy, simple dressing that can go on any salad.
- Spelt Salad – a unique twist on pasta salad you’ll love!
- Tomato Basil Pasta Salad
- Pasta Salad Variations to feed a Crowd
Summer Recipes Kids Can Make
Can’t see the video? View it on YouTube here.
- Chicken Barley Leek Soup
- Sausage, Kale and Bean Soup
- Sausage Zucchini Bake
- Cream of Vegetable “End of Garden” Soup
- California Chicken Wraps
- Grilled Sourdough Pizza
- Mexican Stuffed Peppers
Desserts and Extras
- Fruit Pizza – no purchased pastry crust here + probiotics for a boost!
- Herb Infused Popsicles
- Homemade Electrolyte Sports Drink – amazing after a day working or playing outside
- Honey-Sweetened Ginger Ale
- Avocado Ice Cream
Every real food cook needs some basic resources that everyone recognizes.
If you have a desire to cook real food more fluently or gain confidence in remaking some of your own processed style recipes using only whole foods, you’ll love the bestselling eBook Better Than a Box.
With 60 ready-to-go recipes and 100 pages of kitchen tutorials, your family will be singing your real food praises in no time. Click HERE for more info on the premium package, including the Kindle version.
Looking Ahead to Fall
Don’t forget to think about preserving the summer bounty – either from your backyard or the farmer’s market. Here is a quick list to get you started on having a taste of summer all year long.
- Restaurant-Style Canned Salsa
- Real Food Veggie Chips
- Fruit Rolls – great for lunches and snacks all year!
- How to Dehydrate Fruit