Between the whole grain oats, omega-3 packed walnuts, and real butter, there’s got to be a complete protein in this thing as well. Nice! Plus you get to avoid the trans fat that is almost always in these:
Walnut-Oat Pie Crust
|Walnut-Oat Pie Crust|
- 1 1/3 cups old-fashioned or quick oats (not instant)
- 1 cup diced walnuts
- 6 Tbs melted unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread oats in a shallow layer in an ungreased round cake pan.
- Spread nuts in a shallow layer in another ungreased cake pan.
- Bake the nuts until they smell toasty and are beginning to brown, about 8 minutes.
- Bake the oats until they’re starting to brown, 15-18 minutes.
- Watch both carefully; they go from brown to burned quickly.
- Remove them from the oven and transfer to a food processor.
- Add the butter, sugar and salt.
- Process until the oats and nuts are finely ground and the mixture is cohesive.
- Remove the mixture from the food processor and press it into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch regular (not deep-dish) pie pan that’s at least 1 ¼ inches deep.
- Bake the crust until it’s just barely beginning to brown, 14 minutes. Remove it from the oven and set it on a rack to cool.
Now you can fill the crust with any pie that calls for a storebought graham cracker crust. I made a frozen peanut butter pie with it. Delish!
This is also my entry in the Make it From Scratch carnival that I get to host next Tuesday. Click here to enter your own recipe, craft project, or whatEVER you like that is from scratch!
I’m demonstrating how my “Bean and Veggie Meal Plan Analysis” will work Thursday. Please come on back for the demo and to participate with your meal plan. I’ll help you find ways to include healthy beans and veggies in the foods you and your family already serve and enjoy!
If you missed the last Monday Mission, click here.
Other Recipe Connections:
- Green Smoothies with Kale
- Jamaican Meat Marinade
- Summer Fruit Dips
- Banana Flax Muffins
- Homemade Granola and Granola bars
Find more pies at Love the Pie!