Is everyone still drowning in zucchini out there? If you’re looking for a low-carb (no-carb?), filled with veggies, use-up-your-zucchini meal that fills tummies and pleases tastebuds, you’re at the right post. This may well be our favorite summer meal, and I love it because it’s so healthy and easy to make.
I also have some great memories of my two-year-old son slicing zucchini with his cheese slicer that looks like a meat cleaver. (See this post for a photo!) Buddy Boy completely did the zucchini job himself two years ago. …If only I could get him to help me in the kitchen like that now! (“Mom, can I go outside and play with my friends?”)
You’ll want to find a tasty sausage for this recipe, and use a spaghetti sauce that you know your family likes. Those two ingredients are the star players and change the flavor dramatically. We used some good pastured pork sausage this summer, but in the past I have used cheap ground turkey and made it into homemade sausage.
- 1 pound sausage, mild or spicy, or homemade
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped green pepper
- 1-3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1-2 large zucchini, sliced
- 1 jar spaghetti sauce or 3 c. homemade
- 1 Tbs fresh basil, chopped
- 1-2 Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Brown sausage.
- Saute onion, pepper and garlic (add last) with the meat (in olive oil? See this post for research!).
- Pour a little spaghetti sauce in a 9x13 glass baking dish.
- Layer 1-2 large sliced zucchinis on top.
- Mix the remaining spaghetti sauce in a large bowl with the sauteed meat and veggies and the fresh basil.
- Pour over the zucchini.
- Layer sliced tomatoes (they don't have to be Romas, but those are prettier) on top, then cover with mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, then uncover and bake for 15-30 minutes longer, until the cheese is browned and the sides are bubbling.
Not perhaps the most photogenic meal, especially if you don’t take the time to get the extra moisture out of the zukes first…but one of the most delicious recipes I have!
Challenge yourself to get as many ingredients as you can from your Farmer’s Market or your garden! Just another reason to love this dish.
Find the ultimate list of zucchini recipes at The Finer Things in Life.
It was a tough choice, but I chose this as my Favorite Recipe for Life as MOM’s Ultimate Recipe Swap today. There are so many good ones!
Other Great Summer Recipes:
- Jamaican Meat Marinade
- Summer Fruit Dips
- Homemade Guacamole
- California Chicken Wraps
- Pasta Salad Variations: Traditional, Pizza, Spicy Red Pepper and Greek
- Sausage, Beans and Kale Soup
I’m pleased to link up with:
- Zucchini In-Season Recipe Swap at at Tammy’s Recipes,
- Food Roots at Nourishing Days
- Healthy Helpings at the Krazy Kitchen
- This week’s Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap
- Friday Feasts at MomTrends
- Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum
- Ann Kroeker’s Food on Fridays
- Share my Recipe Sunday at Organize with Sandy
- Mouthwatering Mondays at A Southern Fairytale
- Make it from Scratch Carnival
- Progressive Dinner: Main Dish at Stolen Moments
If you missed the last Monday Mission, click here.