As in, as soon as we run out, I make more and restock the freezer.
They’re so moist and easy to make, and they thaw in less than 30 minutes no problem, so these are my super-emergency-have-to-leave-the-house-NOW stash.
They vary in flavors, from plain to cinnamon-raisin or banana-nut, to my favorite, cranberry-walnut, or the kids’ fav, blueberry. The recipe is such a blank slate that you can pretty much make it into anything you want (and in Healthy Snacks to Go, the second edition, I did – I took the spices from our favorite healthy pumpkin muffins and made grain-free pumpkin muffins too).
I like to surround myself with easy, versatile, flexible recipes, like those famous muffins I just mentioned, which are made in one bowl and had no problem morphing into delicious gluten-free pumpkin muffins (that were also egg-free, dairy-free, and nut-free).
During this week of a grain-free baking challenge, if you just want to try one recipe, make this the one. Share in the comments how you adapt it with fun flavors!
Recipe: Easy Grain-free Coconut Muffins
- 6 eggs
- ¼ c. unrefined coconut oil,
- ½ c. honey or maple syrup
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ c. coconut flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Beat or stir eggs, coconut oil, honey and salt together until smooth. Be sure to mix the oil in immediately as it will likely solidify as soon as it hits the cold eggs.
- Sift coconut flour into the batter and sprinkle baking soda over the top so that it mixes in evenly. Beat or whisk hard until smooth.
- I highly recommend using muffin cup liners for this recipe, but if you
- don't mind the clean-up, you can grease 12 muffin cups with coconut oil.
- Divide batter evenly between 12 cups (usually about halfway full) and
- bake at 375F for 10-15 minutes until a toothpick in the center comes
- out clean and tops are springy, not mushy.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool. Store at room temperature 3-5 days or
- freeze immediately.
- Makes 12 muffins.
I’m guessing that if I did find a 2-year-old muffin in the freezer, it would still be moist and tasty, to tell the truth.
Have fun with this one!