Okay, it’s another busy morning, and you’re rushing out the door, when you’re six-year-old announces what he announces every morning 15 minutes after breakfast:
I don’t know what it is about kids in the morning, but before my kids hit the tween stage, they needed a big breakfast.
Now, my older boys can fix their own breakfast (Thank you, Kids Cook Real Food!), but I still have a younger one who is hungry for breakfast about 3 times every morning.
Kids Love this Dairy-Free Breakfast
For many years, we dealt with dairy and gluten allergies, so I needed to find a solid, dairy-free breakfast that would fill my kids’ stomachs and give them some good fat and protein to start their day.
Sure, they can eat an entire bag of cold cereal. But they will still be hungry 20 minutes later.
This dairy-free breakfast egg bake is easy to whip together, it fills tummies, and even parents will love it too – because I bet you’re struggling to take care of yourself in the mornings as well.
Easier Mornings with a Make-Ahead Breakfast
One of the best parts about this breakfast is that you can make it ahead of time and eat it throughout the week. I’ll show you how to make an 8×8-inch pan, but you can easily double or triple it depending on the size of your family.
Dairy-Free Breakfast Ideas
Use this egg bake in all kinds of ways for breakfast in the mornings:
- Serve with crispy baked home fries (or sweet potato home fries!)
- Serve with sliced apples or other fruit
- Serve with biscuits, toast, muffins, or baked oatmeal
- Serve with smoothies
- Or toss some leftover baked potatoes or sweet potatoes right in the egg mixture before you bake it for a complete one-pan breakfast egg bake.
Your kids can learn to cook, even if you don’t know where to start.
My 4 kids and I created the online Kids Cook Real Food lessons to help bring real food and independence to families all over. Over 10,000 kids have joined us and we’d love to invite you along for the adventure!
PLUS we’re so pleased to offer a little gift from our family to yours: “10 Snacks Your Kids Can Make” packed with our favorites for the road! GRAB THAT HERE!
Dairy-Free Breakfast Egg Bake
The sausage is really important to this recipe. Typically, an egg bake like this would have shredded cheese or something else fatty and salty to contrast the eggs.
However, when you’re dairy-free, you need to look elsewhere. That’s why I make mine with sausage. In the video, I show you how I make my own quick, clean sausage from any kind of ground meat. However, feel free to use your favorite sausage, bacon, or even turkey bacon.
Dairy-Free Breakfast Everyone will Enjoy
You could just make a frittata. Frittatas are very similar to this egg bake, because you saute onions and veggies in a pan, then add the meat and egg mixture and bake it until the egg is just barely cooked through.
However, for some of my selective eaters, they love eggs and protein, and they love veggies, but they don’t love them mixed together. Sometimes I make frittata, because it’s important for kids to try different foods. And sometimes I make this egg bake.
Do what works for your family, but remember to keep exposing your kids to new flavors and foods!
Here are some tips to help you save money and eat healthy:
- Buy eggs in bulk! Eggs keep for a really long time, so if you ever run across a sale, don’t be afraid to stock up. If you’re afraid of them going bad, whip up a few batches of this egg bake and pop them in the freezer for easy breakfasts later.
- Sausage – Clean sausage is expensive! That’s why I like to use our clean, 5-ingredient sausage recipe. It has no added-sugar, uses only a few spices, and you can make any ground meat into delicious breakfast sausage. I like it best with ground beef.
- If you’re getting eggs from a local farmer or from backyard chickens, always crack the egg into a separate bowl before adding it to the mixing bowl. This prevents food and money waste if you accidentally get a bad egg!
Make-Ahead Breakfast Egg Bake
You can do this egg bake in several different ways. I like to make a big pan of it, then eat it all week for breakfast.
If you want to freeze it ahead of time, you can certainly freeze it. However, you might want to make little egg muffins instead. Egg muffins are easy to freeze, cute, kid-friendly, and delicious. Just line a muffin tin with liners (grease them too if you can, because the egg WILL stick to the muffin liners!) and bake them until the egg is just barely cooked through.Print
Make-ahead gluten-free, dairy-free egg bake for a quick, protein-filled breakfast!
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup crumbled sausage or a few strips of crumbled bacon
- 3/4 tsp
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease an 8×8-inch baking pan with coconut oil and set aside.
- Beat the eggs, salt, and pepper together. Pour the egg mixture into the greased pan then sprinkle it evenly with the sausage or bacon.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the eggs are just barely cooked. Without dairy, eggs overbake easily, so watch it carefully!
- Slice into squares and serve with fruit, fried potatoes, or toast!
- Serving Size: 1/6th a pan
- Calories: 276
- Sugar: 0g
- Sodium: 654mg
- Fat: 22g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 15g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 2g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 17g
- Cholesterol: 357mg
Keywords: keto, grain-free, crust-less quiche
Need a little help getting healthy food on the table every day? Real Plans takes the stress out of meal planning and puts the nourishing food BACK on your table. There’s a plan for every diet type, including GAPS, Paleo, AIP, Whole30, vegetarian and more! You remain totally in control: use your own recipes, accept theirs, and teach the system what your family likes…Check out how powerful it is here!
Whether you’re feeding a crowd of kids or just trying to find a dairy-free breakfast you (or your kids) will love, try this dairy-free egg bake recipe!
It’s easier than a frittata, cleaner than a quiche, fills tummies, and helps you move on with your morning.
More Healthy Breakfast Recipes
- The Healthy Breakfast Book with over 50 recipes!
- Tastes Like Pizza Breakfast Hash
- Autumn Spiced Pumpkin Pancakes – can be made grain-free, gluten-free, sourdough or whole wheat!
- Grain-free Pumpkin Pie Breakfast Porridge
- Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal (pumpkin pie version)
- Instant Pot Apple Cranberry Steel Cut Oats
- Best Homemade Soaked Granola
- Best Pancakes: Whole Wheat or Gluten-free or Sourdough or Paleo Apple Almond
- Veggie Potato Latkes
- Grain-free Pizza Quiche
- Best High Protein Scrambled Eggs Ever
- Candy Cane Smoothie Bowl
- 10 Healthy Brunch Dishes for Potlucks
- Creative Ways to Add Veggies to Breakfast
- Allergen Free Breakfast Hummus
- Lots of Breakfast Ideas for Meal Planning
- Hard Boil Eggs in the Instant Pot