If you see a green or orange $ symbol next to an ingredient, clicking it will show the sales in YOUR community this week on that item (or share an additional recipe from a partner).
|Banana Flax Muffins|
- 1 ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour (works just fine with regular whole wheat)
- ¾ cup ground flaxseed
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 whole egg
- ½ cup oil or melted butter
- 1 cup mashed bananas (I used VERY ripe bananas)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional – but adds MORE omega-3s!)
- In large mixing bowl, mix together flour, flaxseed, sugar, and baking soda.
- In separate bowl, mix egg, oil, bananas, vanilla, and yogurt.
- Mix wet into dry ingredients.
- Fold in walnuts.
- Use paper muffin cups or spray the muffin pans with non-stick spray.
- Bake large muffins 20-25 minutes (or mini muffins for about 15 minutes) at 350 degrees.
- Makes 12 muffins or 30 mini-muffins.
How to Substitute Flax in a Baking Recipe
- Take out some of the fat in your recipe – butter, shortening (eek!), oil, whatever. I usually have been very safe taking out 1/4 cup of fat, whether there’s 1 cup or 1/2 cup in the original recipe.
- Replace that with 3x as much flax meal. If you delete 1/4 cup of fat, add 3/4 cup of flax. That seems like a lot, but it always works!
- You may need to store your baked goods in the fridge – I found they go bad faster with flax involved.
Good luck and enjoy!
If you missed the last Monday Mission, click here.
Other Recipe Connections: