Recipe Connection: Banana Flax Muffins

We’re thinking about omega-3s this week, and one way to get them into even your baking is to use ground flax seeds in place of part of the fat in a recipe.  Here’s an easy, yummy, kid-friendly muffin recipe for you to try, or get bold and learn to substitute flax into your family’s favorites (see below for details)!

If taking real food on the go is a challenge for you, you’re not alone. Join thousands of other happy owners of Healthy Snacks to Go, an eBook that is helping real foodies everywhere keep their families nourished (and kids happy) even when they need to pack a snack — without resorting to processed junk food or expensive health food store treats. With over a dozen different “bar” recipes alone, including many that are grain-free and contain zero refined sugar, I guarantee you’ll find a new family favorite in Healthy Snacks to Go.

If you see a green or orange $ symbol next to an ingredient, clicking it will show the sales in YOUR community this week on that item (or share an additional recipe from a partner).

Banana Flax Muffins

Cook time
Total time

Note: Ingredients often use affiliate links to Amazon, but obviously you should shop for the best price and try to keep your dollars local when you can.
Author:
Recipe type: Breakfast
Serves: 12
Ingredients
Instructions
  1. In large mixing bowl, mix together flour, flaxseed, sugar, and baking soda.
  2. In separate bowl, mix egg, oil, bananas, vanilla, and yogurt.
  3. Mix wet into dry ingredients.
  4. Fold in walnuts.
  5. Use paper muffin cups or spray the muffin pans with non-stick spray.
  6. Bake large muffins 20-25 minutes (or mini muffins for about 15 minutes) at 350 degrees.
  7. Makes 12 muffins or 30 mini-muffins.

How to Substitute Flax in a Baking Recipe

• Take out some of the fat in your recipe – butter, shortening (eek!), oil, whatever.  I usually have been very safe taking out 1/4 cup of fat, whether there’s 1 cup or 1/2 cup in the original recipe.
  • Replace that with 3x as much flax meal.  If you delete 1/4 cup of fat, add 3/4 cup of flax.  That seems like a lot, but it always works!
  • You may need to store your baked goods in the fridge – I found they go bad faster with flax involved.

Good luck and enjoy!

I’m pleased to participate in Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum, Friday Feasts at MomTrends, Share my Recipe Sunday at Organize with Sandy, and Mouthwatering Mondays at A Southern Fairytale.

I’d love to see more of you!  Sign up for an email subscription or grab my reader feed.

Kitchen Stewardship is dedicated to balancing God’s gifts of time, health, earth and money.  If you feel called to such a mission, read more at Mission, Method, and Mary and Martha Moments.

Other Recipe Connections:

this is a wonderful discovery! the muffins sound great but i love the tip re: flax substitution. We use ground flax, sprinkling it on yogurt, in smoothies, in oatmeal, but in a hundred yrs I’d not have thought to substitute for fat. thanks so much I’m thrilled to have found you thru Mouthwatering Monday!

Welcome! So glad I could be of help; I hope the substitution works well for you. Come back anytime! :) Katie

2. Mandee says

I love your recipes on here! I found this site because I was looking for a good recipe for whole grain tortillas and I’m so glad I did!! I love this banana flax recipe but I was wondering if it’s possible to change it to apple cinnamon or blueberry? I’m kind of new to cooking and baking etc so I’m not the best at substituting…

M,
      I bet you could! You would need to compensate w/an equal amount of wettish stuff for the lack of bananas. I would try 1 cup applesauce and add 1 tsp. cinnamon. For blueberries, maybe the cup applesauce anyway and then add blueberries? Or just banana blueberry. Let me know if you try it; I love adding transformations to my recipes!

3. Mandee says

Thanks for the reply! I did try the apple cinnamon ones with applesauce but I actually also added 1 & 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger and 3/4 cup of brown sugar (instead of white sugar). They were delicious! I think my husband would have preferred that they be *slightly* sweeter but he thought they were great anyway. Maybe next time I’ll try it with the white sugar instead or just maybe a little more brown sugar. Thanks for the help! :-)

4. Elizabeth says

I GOT BOLD!!! I made oatmeal cookies today with fresh ground flax seed. I figured that it would be as easy add with the oatmeal. I also cut a 1/4 c of brown sugar and used honey instead of white. I even did it with a mix of whole wheat flour and white. I’ve been looking for ways to make treats my dad loves a little healthier verses him buy those crappy cookies from the store. He LOVED them! He took a bit and he said “Oh man I’m going to have to ration these – these are too good!” You’ve got me so pumped to do new things in the kitchen!

We made these for breakfast this morning and added some chopped raw almonds (since I was out of walnuts) and unsweetened coconut chips. They were a hit with everyone, even my husband who doesn’t like bananas!

6. Stacy says

Hi this looks delicious. I’ve tried many recipes on your site. Wondering: if we wanted to use molasses what the ratio of substitution would be here? Or honey…

thanks,

7. Lucy says

I’ve always been confused about something and I’m really hoping you can help clear it up….

Is it okay to heat flax seeds? I’ve tried to find some information on it but what I’ve found seems so conflicting???? Most sites say that you should definitely not heat flax seed oil as it becomes rancid but what about in a recipe like this where you’re just using the ground seeds?

Lucy,
      You’re right about flax oil; it definitely should not be used for cooking. However, the internal temp of these muffins in the oven should only get to about 150-170, which won’t damage the fats in the flax. I think. There are so many recipes for baking with flax, and I don’t think I would have missed warnings about baking with flax. Hope that helps! :) Katie

• Katie Kimball @ Kitchen Stewardship says

Stefanie,
      I’ve never soaked this one, partly because I’d have to rely on the oil and bananas as the “liquid” and I’m not sure if it would “count” i.e. actually lower the phytate count in the flour.

I have used honey, 1/4 cup instead of the 1/2 cup sugar. :) Katie

8. Jennifer says

I know I’m late on the ball, since you posted this a year ago, but I’m a recent subscriber and catching up. I can’t remember how I got to this recipe, but I just tried it today– used raw sugar and coconut oil and added a big handful of dried cranberries. It’s soooo good! I’ve made banana muffins for years, and I think these are the best ever! Thank you for posting a year ago. So glad I could still access it!