It’s funny how tastes change.
As a kid, I despised legumes of all kinds and never ate yogurt, ever.
Now two of my top three recommended good habits include cooking dry beans and making homemade yogurt, and I eat a plain yogurt with fruit (no sweetener) every single day for lunch. Add honey and it’s like ice cream.
My own transformation gives me hope for all children whose parents might deem them “picky eaters” and also infuses empathy into some of my recipes. I know some kids (and adults) may cringe at the thought of a beany chili, so I’m always on the lookout for recipes that don’t make people bump into a round, mushy, grainy-textured nasty thing in their dinner.
Remember, I love beans now and we eat them all the time! But I do remember how they felt to my kid-mouth.
Family Favorite Easy Bean Soup
We’ve been making this soup in my family for almost ten years, and it really checks all the boxes:
- Super simple to make
- Packed with nourishment from bone broth and legumes
- Blended so nobody can pick anything out
- Three beans enhance the flavor beyond just blended beans like refried beans
- Perfect balance of flavorful enough for adults to enjoy but not so hard-hitting on the tastebuds that it’s overkill for kids (huge range you can choose from actually)
- Add enough broth so that it’s thin, and the sensory folks who hate refried beans have a chance of liking it
- Extremely inexpensive
- Versatile – can be dressed up with toppings for a totally different experience
- Easy to make a huge batch for leftovers
- Great to send to a new mom since it’s so easy to heat up
- Freezes and thaws without any impact on quality
Our kids love adding cheese and sour cream, and the parents put some zing on top in the form of green and red onions (and hot sauce for my husband). And now that they’ve done the video cooking lessons in the Kids Cook Real Food eCourse, they can even make this one themselves! Try it yourself on the next Kids Cook Monday!
It dresses up fancy for a potluck or company, but it’s simple enough to make for a Saturday lunch at home.